Friday, January 16, 2009



Like everyone I'm an avid music lover (honestly who would say they hate music? anyone?) and I must admit I have found a new lover. Her name is Edith Piaf. She is an amazing french singer who is one of the largest stars in France to this day (regardless of the fact that she passed away in 1963). I know many of you who read this blog arn't exactly down with listening to music in a language you don't understand, but I do beg of you to at least giver her a shot. Her voice seems so full of emotion, that even without understanding what she is saying word for word, you get the feeling of the song all the same.

I'll point out a few tracks I love of hers, and I've even popped a little player at the bottom of the blog so you can enjoy the music (and eventually go to ITunes and buy it all right? Right.)

Non Je Ne Regrette Rein - Is one of her later songs (which I posted in a post before *see youtube video in earlier post). The song is still, to this day, the anthem for french resistance. The title "Non Je Ne Regrette Rein" means "I Have No Regretts", and the lyrics, when translated get that across very well. She states throughout the song "I don't regret the good times, I don't regrett the bad times. It was all for you". The song actually seems to carry an extra punch when you know the history behind Edith Piaf herself. She lived a hard live, being abandoned by her mother at a young age in the slums of Paris, living in a brothel with her grand mother, being accused of assisting in the murder of the man that first discovered her, and eventually dying from complications stemming from her long time addiction to morphine. Even though all the negative may have weighed her down, she stills says with this song "I have no regrets".

La Vie en Rose - Most likely the most famous of her songs, La Vien Rose (Living in Pink or Life in Pink) is the title of the biographical film that portrayed her life (search google: oscar + edith piaf). La Mome Piaf (The Little Sparrow) as Edith Piaf was sometimes called, recorded the song in English, though the french version remains the most popular across the world. The song is about love, the mad crazy obsessed sort of love. She dedicated this song to Marcel, a famous french wrestler whom she had an affair with, and whom passed away in the plane crash with Buddy Holly.

Heaven Have Mercy - One of my favirote songs of hers that is recorded in English. The song is a strong one, with a heavy orchestra and a sad and epic meaning behind each word that she sings. The song has to deal with a lover whom passed away, and how she can not move on (Marcel again?). This song made her very famous in the US during the late 1950's, and can be heard in a few era movies about that time.


Well there you have it, I hope you enjoy those songs. Do remember though that she has many, many others that you may want to look into (Itunes, don't forget).

Here is the mp3 player, with all three songs on it (enjoy!)






PS:Its my one year anniversary. Go us!

0 comments: