Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lady GaGa - Alejandro

I usually leave the radio dial when Lady Gaga comes on. Though her music to me isn't very "epic" it is pleasing to the ears. That being said, I'm not a Gaga-hater and I have no issue with the woman, so when I saw her new music video for Alejandro I was an objective critic.
Firstly, its long. Which is okay, but just prepare yourself for a 8min tale. Secondly, I enjoyed the subtle hints deployed in the video. Its obvious that the video has to do with gay men. Gaga shows her self as a dominatrix in one scene,  she also show cases the "military" or a nazi-esque military to be exact. This could be taken as a artistic interpretation for the controversial  Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.
Gaga definitely pushed boundaries (and people's religious views) by donning a futuristic nun's outfit. She will catch a lot of crap for that, but she's an entertainer and if you aren't shocked or interested in what she's doing then she's failing at her job. I think the whole point of the nun/religious imagery is a big middle finger at the catholic church which hasn't been very supportive of the gay community.

Check out the video below and tell me your thoughts.

ALEJANDRO from lecritikeur on Vimeo.

0 comments: