Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gustav Holst - Mars, Bringer of War.

I love powerful music, music that has a strong and epic feeling to it. Usually I can find this is classical music. I prefer what I call "build ups". Its where a song starts out rather simple and melodic, and then builds into a full orchestra that overwhelms the ears.

If you've never heard of the Celestial Classics then don't worry, most haven't heard of it by name. You have however heard most of them in the big blockbuster movies as their frequently used to give a sense of emotion or pace to a scene. Gustav Holst is the composer of the Celestial Classics that range from Mercury to Neptune (sorry they hadn't discovered Pluto by the time he passed away, which didn't matter now-a-days).
Mars, the bringer of war is my favorite, I sometimes put it on mix cd's and crank the volume up and let the full impact of such a powerful song chill me to the bone. Check it out below and let me know what you think (and if you can name any movies you've heard it in):


-Sean

0 comments: